Growing up, my brother had a poster of Hakeem Olajuwon up against his bedroom wall during the years of the Rockets’ championship run during the early ‘90s. Before McGrady landed in Houston and before Chamillionaire, Slim Thug, Lil’ Flip, and Z-Ro gained regional and national exposure, there were two guys from Port Arthur that were making a little bit of noise. Bernard Freeman and Chad Butler, jointly known as UGK, became the godfathers of H-Town hip-hop, and nearly two decades later Bun B is still making noise. Preparing to release his third solo album, Bun drops off Chuuch!!, a song reminiscent of the earlier years of UGK. Produced by Houston legend Steve Below, who laced many of UGK’s songs over the years, Bun B educates us on his struggle and the love he has for Screwston while the hi-hat rides and the organ grinds in typical Texas style. Comparing himself to Hakeem as a member of “Phi Slama Jama,” there is no doubt that Bun loves his city and will rep it hard when his upcoming album, Trill O.G., drops August 3.
Listen to More: Bun B Written by Ivan Ibarra
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Don't Wanna Play ft. Bun B & Bad Seed" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.