Growing up, my brother had a poster of Hakeem Olajuwon up against his bedroom wall during the years of the Rockets’ championship run during the early ‘90s. Before McGrady landed in Houston and before Chamillionaire, Slim Thug, Lil’ Flip, and Z-Ro gained regional and national exposure, there were two guys from Port Arthur that were making a little bit of noise. Bernard Freeman and Chad Butler, jointly known as UGK, became the godfathers of H-Town hip-hop, and nearly two decades later Bun B is still making noise. Preparing to release his third solo album, Bun drops off Chuuch!!, a song reminiscent of the earlier years of UGK. Produced by Houston legend Steve Below, who laced many of UGK’s songs over the years, Bun B educates us on his struggle and the love he has for Screwston while the hi-hat rides and the organ grinds in typical Texas style. Comparing himself to Hakeem as a member of “Phi Slama Jama,” there is no doubt that Bun loves his city and will rep it hard when his upcoming album, Trill O.G., drops August 3.
Listen to More: Bun B
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 07/29/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Don't Wanna Play ft. Bun B & Bad Seed" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)