Growing up, my brother had a poster of Hakeem Olajuwon up against his bedroom wall during the years of the Rockets’ championship run during the early ‘90s. Before McGrady landed in Houston and before Chamillionaire, Slim Thug, Lil’ Flip, and Z-Ro gained regional and national exposure, there were two guys from Port Arthur that were making a little bit of noise. Bernard Freeman and Chad Butler, jointly known as UGK, became the godfathers of H-Town hip-hop, and nearly two decades later Bun B is still making noise. Preparing to release his third solo album, Bun drops off Chuuch!!, a song reminiscent of the earlier years of UGK. Produced by Houston legend Steve Below, who laced many of UGK’s songs over the years, Bun B educates us on his struggle and the love he has for Screwston while the hi-hat rides and the organ grinds in typical Texas style. Comparing himself to Hakeem as a member of “Phi Slama Jama,” there is no doubt that Bun loves his city and will rep it hard when his upcoming album, Trill O.G., drops August 3.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 07/29/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Don't Wanna Play ft. Bun B & Bad Seed" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.