To serious reggae fanatics, Buju Banton needs no introduction—he’s already reached legendary status. The veteran’s ninth studio album, finds him returning to his conscious roots as he describes the sociopolitical struggles that pervade life in his home country. On newly-released single Bedtime Story (inspired by the similarly-named Slick Rick classic), Buju and guest feature Wyclef Jean encounter a young boy whose father was killed in a street shooting. Feeling for the child’s suffering, the collaborators decide to raise him in his daddy’s absence, teaching him to support his widowed mother, and, of course, telling him stories in the evenings. With the help of Buju’s smooth guitar stylings and soft, heartfelt vocals, the boy should have no trouble falling asleep from this day forward. For more from the reggae legend, pick up a copy of Rasta Got Soul, which was released back in April.
Written by Burmy on 06/17/09
Gargamel Music, Inc.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.