Many emcees make it their mission to elevate listeners’ mindstates as they elevate their own status. Booth newcomer Buddy is just a little bit more literal than the rest. On the latest promo single off his debut set, the new Star Trak signee meditates on a few of the many things that “take [him] high”—Staircases, escalators, ladders, elevators, etc., etc. Label boss Pharrell‘s blissfully mellow piano-loop boardwork sets the mood for rhymes that, while highly abstract, remain firmly rooted in the realities of the hustle. After a dreamy yet driven opener which finds the Compton representative daydreaming about hopping a shuttle out of the ghetto, West Coast phenom Kendrick Lamar grabs the mic to deliver some far-out bars of his own, inviting listeners to, “look inside [his] eyes,” and peer through to the “alien” camouflaged beneath. Has Buddy succeeded in lifting your spirits with this vivid, headphone-ready jam? Then keep it locked - Idle Time has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll be sure to keep you supplied with all the latest news and tunes from this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 03/29/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.