Many emcees make it their mission to elevate listeners’ mindstates as they elevate their own status. Booth newcomer Buddy is just a little bit more literal than the rest. On the latest promo single off his debut set, the new Star Trak signee meditates on a few of the many things that “take [him] high”—Staircases, escalators, ladders, elevators, etc., etc. Label boss Pharrell‘s blissfully mellow piano-loop boardwork sets the mood for rhymes that, while highly abstract, remain firmly rooted in the realities of the hustle. After a dreamy yet driven opener which finds the Compton representative daydreaming about hopping a shuttle out of the ghetto, West Coast phenom Kendrick Lamar grabs the mic to deliver some far-out bars of his own, inviting listeners to, “look inside [his] eyes,” and peer through to the “alien” camouflaged beneath. Has Buddy succeeded in lifting your spirits with this vivid, headphone-ready jam? Then keep it locked - Idle Time has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll be sure to keep you supplied with all the latest news and tunes from this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 03/29/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.