Many emcees make it their mission to elevate listeners’ mindstates as they elevate their own status. Booth newcomer Buddy is just a little bit more literal than the rest. On the latest promo single off his debut set, the new Star Trak signee meditates on a few of the many things that “take [him] high”—Staircases, escalators, ladders, elevators, etc., etc. Label boss Pharrell‘s blissfully mellow piano-loop boardwork sets the mood for rhymes that, while highly abstract, remain firmly rooted in the realities of the hustle. After a dreamy yet driven opener which finds the Compton representative daydreaming about hopping a shuttle out of the ghetto, West Coast phenom Kendrick Lamar grabs the mic to deliver some far-out bars of his own, inviting listeners to, “look inside [his] eyes,” and peer through to the “alien” camouflaged beneath. Has Buddy succeeded in lifting your spirits with this vivid, headphone-ready jam? Then keep it locked - Idle Time has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll be sure to keep you supplied with all the latest news and tunes from this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 03/29/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.