With Nelly pushing the pop angle harder than ever, and the rest of the city’s representatives flying largely under the radar, the time seems ripe for the emergence of a St. Louis emcee whose M.O. is simply to spit lyrical fire over hot beats. Could first-time Booth featuree Bryant Stewart be that man? He clearly seems to think so – and on current single We On, he sets out to convince the other 99.999% of the hip-hop nation. Backed by TEP Tracks’ grimy blend of syncopated handclaps, synth whirs and raw bass riffs, the up-and-comer stakes his claim on rap superstardom. Decrying the music game’s overwhelming atmosphere of staleness and disposability (“These days rap songs mirror each other, and I think it’s ‘cause artists live in fear of each other.”), Stewart positions himself as the antidote to your average emcee: “If you’re lookin’ for finesse, then you know to call B.” Think this ambitious Midwesterner is, as he spits here, “‘bout to be on?” Then keep it locked – his Not Quite There mixtape has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll keep you posted.
Written by richard on 12/8/10
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.