The word of the day is “Irony.” As in, it is sheer irony for pop/r&b darling-on-the-rise Bruno Mars to get arrested in Las Vegas under suspicion of narcotics possession on Sunday, only to release a single called Liquor Store Blues on Tuesday. Say it with me now: ironyyyyyyy. As the title suggests, this second single from Mars’ upcoming debut album ventures into much darker territory than his previous #1 hit, Just The Way You Are. Lush reggae instrumentation courtesy of Mars’ led production team The Smeezingtons sets a backdrop that is apropos for Damian Marley to lend a verse, while our troubled friend Bruno Mars laments his stagnant life with the help of whiskey and cigarettes. I’m really hoping that Mars isn’t getting too swept up in the whirlwind of his rising fame. He’s so talented on numerous levels (that voice is one in a million), it’d be a shame to see him go the route of Rick James or Whitney Houston. We’ll see if the developing situation affects the scheduled October 5 release date for his amusingly titled upcoming album Doo-Wops & Hooligans. Keep it locked for any updates.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 09/22/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing on You" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.