The word of the day is “Irony.” As in, it is sheer irony for pop/r&b darling-on-the-rise Bruno Mars to get arrested in Las Vegas under suspicion of narcotics possession on Sunday, only to release a single called Liquor Store Blues on Tuesday. Say it with me now: ironyyyyyyy. As the title suggests, this second single from Mars’ upcoming debut album ventures into much darker territory than his previous #1 hit, Just The Way You Are. Lush reggae instrumentation courtesy of Mars’ led production team The Smeezingtons sets a backdrop that is apropos for Damian Marley to lend a verse, while our troubled friend Bruno Mars laments his stagnant life with the help of whiskey and cigarettes. I’m really hoping that Mars isn’t getting too swept up in the whirlwind of his rising fame. He’s so talented on numerous levels (that voice is one in a million), it’d be a shame to see him go the route of Rick James or Whitney Houston. We’ll see if the developing situation affects the scheduled October 5 release date for his amusingly titled upcoming album Doo-Wops & Hooligans. Keep it locked for any updates.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 09/22/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing on You" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)