The word of the day is “Irony.” As in, it is sheer irony for pop/r&b darling-on-the-rise Bruno Mars to get arrested in Las Vegas under suspicion of narcotics possession on Sunday, only to release a single called Liquor Store Blues on Tuesday. Say it with me now: ironyyyyyyy. As the title suggests, this second single from Mars’ upcoming debut album ventures into much darker territory than his previous #1 hit, Just The Way You Are. Lush reggae instrumentation courtesy of Mars’ led production team The Smeezingtons sets a backdrop that is apropos for Damian Marley to lend a verse, while our troubled friend Bruno Mars laments his stagnant life with the help of whiskey and cigarettes. I’m really hoping that Mars isn’t getting too swept up in the whirlwind of his rising fame. He’s so talented on numerous levels (that voice is one in a million), it’d be a shame to see him go the route of Rick James or Whitney Houston. We’ll see if the developing situation affects the scheduled October 5 release date for his amusingly titled upcoming album Doo-Wops & Hooligans. Keep it locked for any updates.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing on You" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.