On Us lead single Fresh Air, Brother Ali sounded like the happiest man in underground hip-hop – and why shouldn’t he be? He’s got a wonderful family, a devoted fanbase and, as evidenced by album inclusion Best@It, connections to some of the most talented emcees in the game. On the newly-leaked cut, Ali teams up with Philly’s Freeway and Brooklyn’s Joell Ortiz for a showcase of supra-regional solidarity and on-the-mic supremacy. Rhymesayers producer Ant‘s beat comes on strong from bar one, driven by a a propulsive guitar/percussion sample, and Ali’s guests bring their most aggressive flows to match. Though all involved deliver standout performances, the headliner’s bars are a highlight – Ali showcases his versatility by shifting from a (relatively) mellow, melodic flow to a hard-hitting lyrical barrage halfway through his closing verse, and Ant switches the beat up to match. For more fresh, old school-informed boardwork and furious flows from Ant and Ali, pick up a copy of Us when it hits stores Sept. 22.
Written by richard on 09/17/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Truth ft. Freeway & Brother Ali" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.