On Us lead single Fresh Air, Brother Ali sounded like the happiest man in underground hip-hop – and why shouldn’t he be? He’s got a wonderful family, a devoted fanbase and, as evidenced by album inclusion Best@It, connections to some of the most talented emcees in the game. On the newly-leaked cut, Ali teams up with Philly’s Freeway and Brooklyn’s Joell Ortiz for a showcase of supra-regional solidarity and on-the-mic supremacy. Rhymesayers producer Ant‘s beat comes on strong from bar one, driven by a a propulsive guitar/percussion sample, and Ali’s guests bring their most aggressive flows to match. Though all involved deliver standout performances, the headliner’s bars are a highlight – Ali showcases his versatility by shifting from a (relatively) mellow, melodic flow to a hard-hitting lyrical barrage halfway through his closing verse, and Ant switches the beat up to match. For more fresh, old school-informed boardwork and furious flows from Ant and Ali, pick up a copy of Us when it hits stores Sept. 22.
Written by richard on 09/17/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Truth ft. Freeway & Brother Ali" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.