Stop the Presses, Brother Ali‘s just released a brand new single! Oh, that’s right—we’re not an old timey newspaper, don’t use a printing press, and don’t actually need to stop anything in order to bring you new music. Regardless, the Minneapolis mainstay’s latest feature is well worthy of a place in our (virtual) pages. On this poignant personal narrative, Rhymesayers colleague Jake One provides a lush, soul-sampled backdrop for bars detailing some of the sh*t Ali’s been through over the course of the last few years. With the prodigious amount of ground the emcee covers here, a short summery simply can’t do the cut justice—let’s just say that in four short minutes, he goes through a bout of depression, searches for a new DJ, records 2009’s Us, tours the globe, grieves the death of his father, struggles to keep his marriage alive while on the road, visits Mecca and finally bounces back from his struggles a better man and artist than he began. Now that you’ve gotten the full backstory on Ali’s latest full-length, are you itching to experience the rest of the set? Then click here to pre-order Mourning in America and Dreaming in Color, scheduled to drop August 21, via Rhymesayers.
Listen to More: Brother Ali Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Truth ft. Freeway & Brother Ali" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.