Three hundred sixty-four days out of the year, Brother Ali keeps it humble and positive, focusing on the personal and social issues that matter rather than the petty grievances so many other rappers get mired in. When the Rhymesayers stalwart does let loose, though, bystanders had best get out the way. On non-album video single Not a Day Goes By, premiered this morning via Complex, the Minneapolis icon offers his raw and uncut thoughts on the music game and his place therein. Jake One, Ali’s collaborator on his forthcoming full-length, handles production duties, layering an insistent piano loop over a pounding rhythm section as the artist vents his spleen: ”This game polluted, crowded, human garbage oozin’ out it / Buncha dudes in a stupid outfit, tryin’ to call a group a movement—stop it!” Topped off with some of the most furious double-time flows I’ve had the pleasure of hearing from Ali, this bruising selection should be the perfect appetizer for the artist’s fifth album. Watch for Mourning in America and Dreaming in Color to hit record stores and online retailers August 13. Additionally, Brother Ali will be touring Europe throughout May with labelmates Grieves and Budo, before heading home to perform at Rhymesayers’ fifth annual Soundset festival at month’s end.
Written by richard on 05/2/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Truth ft. Freeway & Brother Ali" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.