Minneapolis lyricist Brother Ali has never been one to hold his tongue, so it should come as no surprise that he gets right into it on new title track, Mourning in America. Featured on Ali’s forthcoming Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color album, the record consists of in your face commentary from the rapper who touches on matters both overseas and at home. On the song’s first verse the Rhymesayers spitter boldly takes notice of the similarities between what would typically be two opposing sides as he comments, “It’s a very thin line between a soldier and a terrorist.” The second verse hits home literally as Ali calls out the United States’ struggling school system, improper care of veterans and police violence. Fellow Northwesterner Jake One handles the production on Mourning In America providing it with a steady amount of raucous bass. Expect more collabs between Ali and Jake One when Mourning In America And Dreaming In Color, which will be available for direct digital purchase and free stream on DJBooth, is released on September 18.
Listen to More: Brother Ali
Written by Danielle H. on 08/14/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Truth ft. Freeway & Brother Ali" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.