Ok, so I just called my chiropractor for the first time since a bad kickball accident I had in ’05 (don’t ask). I told the good doc that I had listened to this new track called Breakin’ Dawn Boys from Fashawn and Brother Ali and uh…yeah it was a neck snapper. Bad jokes aside, it’s safe to say that pairing up the West Coast’s most Illmatic emcee with the monster from Minneapolis makes for a painfully good combo as the two wordsmiths commit lyrical homicide upon this easily flammable BK-One production. Going back and forth every few bars, Fashawn and Ali show why they each have their own respective buzz. Fashawn’s contribution is especially incendiary as he sparks off lines like, “It’s the worlds most innovative, west side infiltrated, independent kid awaited, give it up for Mr. Leyva.” If you’re loving this lively track, make sure to check out BK One, Brother Ali, and Fashawn in a city near you during their Breakin’ Dawn Boys Tour, which begins this week.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 03/29/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Truth ft. Freeway & Brother Ali" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.