Barack Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act into law way back in March, but Brisco fans are still being deprived of the Street Medicine they so desperately need. While I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a hip-hop reform bill that’ll make album delays a thing of the past, a hit single might be a more immediate solution to the Miami native’s pushback problem. Enter Stay Here Tonight, a crossover appeal-courting cut which finds Brisco giving listeners a guided tour of the mean streets where he spent his formative years. Mr. Beats’ light, synth-driven boardwork may seem an unlikely match for the emcee’s gritty lyricism (“Yellow tape blockin’ the streets, crime scene / four n*ggas shot three dead for the time being…”), but they manage to make the combo work with a little help from Young Money axe-slinger Kevin Rudolf, who ties the record together with some angstfully catchy hook vocals. As mentioned above, the artist’s debut full-length still suffers from no-release-date-itis. Is Stay Here the cure? That’s for you to tell me, and all of us to find out.
Written by richard on 10/21/10
Poe Boy/Cash Money/Motown
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm Into That" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)