Barack Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act into law way back in March, but Brisco fans are still being deprived of the Street Medicine they so desperately need. While I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a hip-hop reform bill that’ll make album delays a thing of the past, a hit single might be a more immediate solution to the Miami native’s pushback problem. Enter Stay Here Tonight, a crossover appeal-courting cut which finds Brisco giving listeners a guided tour of the mean streets where he spent his formative years. Mr. Beats’ light, synth-driven boardwork may seem an unlikely match for the emcee’s gritty lyricism (“Yellow tape blockin’ the streets, crime scene / four n*ggas shot three dead for the time being…”), but they manage to make the combo work with a little help from Young Money axe-slinger Kevin Rudolf, who ties the record together with some angstfully catchy hook vocals. As mentioned above, the artist’s debut full-length still suffers from no-release-date-itis. Is Stay Here the cure? That’s for you to tell me, and all of us to find out.
Written by richard on 10/21/10
Submit your Rating
Poe Boy/Cash Money/Motown
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where You From" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.