While the overall response to Brisco‘s last feature, Street Medicine lead single On the Wall, was for the most part positive, nearly everyone agreed that Weezy‘s Auto-Tuned hook was, well, lacking. Fortunately, the first official leak off the Floridian emcee’s forthcoming pre-album mixtape can only be regarded as a step up on the chorus front. Here, producer Allstar looks to soul icon Anita Baker for inspiration, borrowing a romantically chill, synth-driven instrumental and a silky-smooth hook from her ‘87 single, No One in the World. Over this tuneful backdrop, Brisco tells the touching tale of how a chance meeting at the local tiki bar led to sex, weed-smoking, shopping sprees and, eventually, true love. Ah, l’amour… Like roughly a gazillion other projects, the artist’s OG Kush street album is set to hit the net on the official holiday of weed-smokers everywhere, April 20. Following the mixtape drop, fans should keep their fingers crossed for the summer arrival of his endlessly-delayed debut LP… hopefully.
Written by richard on 04/9/10
Submit your Rating
Poe Boy/Cash Money/Motown
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where You From" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.