Menthols may be even worse for your health than your average cigarette but, for those who’ve developed the taste, nothing’s quite so refreshing. On his latest single and first Booth feature, Brian Ennals translates that guilty pleasure into an aural form that’s equally addictive, but considerably less carcinogenic. Album lead single Newport Music finds producer Alpha Davis flipping a smooth, smoky saxophone sample as the 28-year-old Severn, Maryland native goes smart and dumb at the same time, mixing wide-ranging cultural references with irresponsible behavior and lowbrow humor: “Nat Turner’s the only n*gga that ever went H.A.M. / I wanna be Terri Lewis and Jimmy Jam / Sniffin’ blow up in the reefer spot / If this was ‘69, I’d be knee-deep in Aretha’s tw*t.” Craving more hot beats and irreverent bars? Then be sure to check out Ennals’ Candy Cigarettes LP when it hits the ‘net late next month.
Written by richard on 10/24/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.