Menthols may be even worse for your health than your average cigarette but, for those who’ve developed the taste, nothing’s quite so refreshing. On his latest single and first Booth feature, Brian Ennals translates that guilty pleasure into an aural form that’s equally addictive, but considerably less carcinogenic. Album lead single Newport Music finds producer Alpha Davis flipping a smooth, smoky saxophone sample as the 28-year-old Severn, Maryland native goes smart and dumb at the same time, mixing wide-ranging cultural references with irresponsible behavior and lowbrow humor: “Nat Turner’s the only n*gga that ever went H.A.M. / I wanna be Terri Lewis and Jimmy Jam / Sniffin’ blow up in the reefer spot / If this was ‘69, I’d be knee-deep in Aretha’s tw*t.” Craving more hot beats and irreverent bars? Then be sure to check out Ennals’ Candy Cigarettes LP when it hits the ‘net late next month.
Written by richard on 10/24/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.