Menthols may be even worse for your health than your average cigarette but, for those who’ve developed the taste, nothing’s quite so refreshing. On his latest single and first Booth feature, Brian Ennals translates that guilty pleasure into an aural form that’s equally addictive, but considerably less carcinogenic. Album lead single Newport Music finds producer Alpha Davis flipping a smooth, smoky saxophone sample as the 28-year-old Severn, Maryland native goes smart and dumb at the same time, mixing wide-ranging cultural references with irresponsible behavior and lowbrow humor: “Nat Turner’s the only n*gga that ever went H.A.M. / I wanna be Terri Lewis and Jimmy Jam / Sniffin’ blow up in the reefer spot / If this was ‘69, I’d be knee-deep in Aretha’s tw*t.” Craving more hot beats and irreverent bars? Then be sure to check out Ennals’ Candy Cigarettes LP when it hits the ‘net late next month.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!