Menthols may be even worse for your health than your average cigarette but, for those who’ve developed the taste, nothing’s quite so refreshing. On his latest single and first Booth feature, Brian Ennals translates that guilty pleasure into an aural form that’s equally addictive, but considerably less carcinogenic. Album lead single Newport Music finds producer Alpha Davis flipping a smooth, smoky saxophone sample as the 28-year-old Severn, Maryland native goes smart and dumb at the same time, mixing wide-ranging cultural references with irresponsible behavior and lowbrow humor: “Nat Turner’s the only n*gga that ever went H.A.M. / I wanna be Terri Lewis and Jimmy Jam / Sniffin’ blow up in the reefer spot / If this was ‘69, I’d be knee-deep in Aretha’s tw*t.” Craving more hot beats and irreverent bars? Then be sure to check out Ennals’ Candy Cigarettes LP when it hits the ‘net late next month.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.