Menthols may be even worse for your health than your average cigarette but, for those who’ve developed the taste, nothing’s quite so refreshing. On his latest single and first Booth feature, Brian Ennals translates that guilty pleasure into an aural form that’s equally addictive, but considerably less carcinogenic. Album lead single Newport Music finds producer Alpha Davis flipping a smooth, smoky saxophone sample as the 28-year-old Severn, Maryland native goes smart and dumb at the same time, mixing wide-ranging cultural references with irresponsible behavior and lowbrow humor: “Nat Turner’s the only n*gga that ever went H.A.M. / I wanna be Terri Lewis and Jimmy Jam / Sniffin’ blow up in the reefer spot / If this was ‘69, I’d be knee-deep in Aretha’s tw*t.” Craving more hot beats and irreverent bars? Then be sure to check out Ennals’ Candy Cigarettes LP when it hits the ‘net late next month.
Written by richard on 10/24/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.