Where others would wait till they’d established a healthy Booth following before busting out their more avant-garde material, Braille is going straight for the experimental ish; instead of listening to this new single with your ears, you put your fingertips to your monitor and Feel It like the artist’s namesake. OK, I made that up—and I’ll give the more gullible among you a minute to wipe the greasy fingerprints off your screens. Got ‘em? Good. In contrast to the B.S. I just made up, the Portland repper’s first feature is a hard-hitting, emotionally-fraught meditation on the struggle and senseless tragedy that befall all too many in this world. Dilated Peoples alum Evidence collides with N.C.‘s Khrysis behind the boards, serving up a tense arepeggiated-piano backdrop as the emcee spits about the depravity and injustice that render his day-to-day grind unbearable—or it would be unbearable, if he didn’t have the Man Upstairs backing him up: “I feel the weight of this fallen world, I know you feel it too / The Lord is my refuge, redemption and rescue.” DJ Revolution steps behind the wheels of steel for a sampled hook, borrowing a famous line from Nas’ classic It Ain’t Hard to Tell. Digging this reflective cut? More awaits on Braille’s Native Lungs LP, available here for free download.
Written by richard on 09/11/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.