Where others would wait till they’d established a healthy Booth following before busting out their more avant-garde material, Braille is going straight for the experimental ish; instead of listening to this new single with your ears, you put your fingertips to your monitor and Feel It like the artist’s namesake. OK, I made that up—and I’ll give the more gullible among you a minute to wipe the greasy fingerprints off your screens. Got ‘em? Good. In contrast to the B.S. I just made up, the Portland repper’s first feature is a hard-hitting, emotionally-fraught meditation on the struggle and senseless tragedy that befall all too many in this world. Dilated Peoples alum Evidence collides with N.C.‘s Khrysis behind the boards, serving up a tense arepeggiated-piano backdrop as the emcee spits about the depravity and injustice that render his day-to-day grind unbearable—or it would be unbearable, if he didn’t have the Man Upstairs backing him up: “I feel the weight of this fallen world, I know you feel it too / The Lord is my refuge, redemption and rescue.” DJ Revolution steps behind the wheels of steel for a sampled hook, borrowing a famous line from Nas’ classic It Ain’t Hard to Tell. Digging this reflective cut? More awaits on Braille’s Native Lungs LP, available here for free download.
Written by richard on 09/11/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.