Shuggie Otis’ Strawberry Letter 23 is one of those songs that urban music can’t seem to get enough of – everyone from Dr. Dre to Beyoncé to Color Me Badd has taken inspiration from the record (or the Brothers Johnson’s more popular cover version) at one point or another. On his latest single, You Already Know Booth veteran Bossman becomes the latest in a long line of artists to put their own spin on the classic cut. One Up Ent. flips that unmistakable bell intro into a sweeping, street-anthemic hip-hop beat as the Baltimore rapper fills us in on what he’s all about, spitting about his paper chase and his hopes for the Obama presidency. Singer Ruscola does double-duty, contributing an exultant hook as well as providing a little moral support on the bridge: “All these lames in the game make it hard/ Get your paper, take heed and stay smart.” Bossman’s debut full-length, The Re-Up, is scheduled to drop sometime in 2010; in the meantime, watch out for his new The Tester mixtape, set to hit the ‘net “soon.”
Written by richard on 12/3/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.