Substantial‘s musical track record may be impeccable, but in his personal life, the Bop Alloy frontman stumbles just like the rest of us. On Write My Wrongs, his latest joint single with Marcus D, the Virginia-based emcee turns the recording booth into a confessional, publicly putting himself on blast for the wrongs he’s committed over the years. As he begs the pardon of “everyone [he] hurt, whether it was unplanned or on purpose,” his behind-the-boards partner serves up a jazzy, whip-ready beat. Seattle spitter Justis gets a few things off his own chest on the middle verse. The hook sees DJ Jav applying his turntable skills to a line from Kendrick Lamar‘s Poetic Justice. On the back, we get a sneak peek at Tokyo Improv, an instrumental interlude co-starring Kenichiro Nishihara. Featuring this cut, this reader-approved Count on Us and much more, Another Day in the Life Of… is scheduled to drop digitally April 8, at which point it will also be available for free streaming and download in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 03/30/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.