Today may be the first time you hear the name “Boom Vox,” but you can be damn sure it won’t be the last; having tasted the limelight in their home city of Boston, Twin Cities-born singer Sam Scott and Beantown emcee Al-J aren’t about to quit till their Fame spans the globe. The latest single off their debut set, this danceable paean to the fast life finds Rob Whittaker layering scorching synths over syncopated percussion as Boom Vox and their equally spotlight-hungry colleagues lace the beat with visions of glitz and glamour. NYC mainstay Mickey Factz heads off the pack, fantasizing about exotic vacations and “caviar on the tour bus” before handing the mic to Massachusetts’ own Dre Robinson for an entertainingly braggadocious middle 16. On the back, Al-J takes center stage to drop some of the craziest rhymes I’ve heard in a minute (“Dyed crimson, word to the third eye extended / to the sky you’re sending up for grabs, prize-winning…”) and Scott ties it all together with his distinctive hook and bridge vocals. Think these alt-hip-hop innovators are headed to the top? Those who answer to the affirmative can hear more on the crew’s Shoot the Moon LP, available now via their Bandcamp page.
Written by richard on 11/17/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Crave The Change" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.