Today may be the first time you hear the name “Boom Vox,” but you can be damn sure it won’t be the last; having tasted the limelight in their home city of Boston, Twin Cities-born singer Sam Scott and Beantown emcee Al-J aren’t about to quit till their Fame spans the globe. The latest single off their debut set, this danceable paean to the fast life finds Rob Whittaker layering scorching synths over syncopated percussion as Boom Vox and their equally spotlight-hungry colleagues lace the beat with visions of glitz and glamour. NYC mainstay Mickey Factz heads off the pack, fantasizing about exotic vacations and “caviar on the tour bus” before handing the mic to Massachusetts’ own Dre Robinson for an entertainingly braggadocious middle 16. On the back, Al-J takes center stage to drop some of the craziest rhymes I’ve heard in a minute (“Dyed crimson, word to the third eye extended / to the sky you’re sending up for grabs, prize-winning…”) and Scott ties it all together with his distinctive hook and bridge vocals. Think these alt-hip-hop innovators are headed to the top? Those who answer to the affirmative can hear more on the crew’s Shoot the Moon LP, available now via their Bandcamp page.
Written by richard on 11/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Crave The Change" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Every Girl Drake’s Ever Mentioned in a Song Ever
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.