Today may be the first time you hear the name “Boom Vox,” but you can be damn sure it won’t be the last; having tasted the limelight in their home city of Boston, Twin Cities-born singer Sam Scott and Beantown emcee Al-J aren’t about to quit till their Fame spans the globe. The latest single off their debut set, this danceable paean to the fast life finds Rob Whittaker layering scorching synths over syncopated percussion as Boom Vox and their equally spotlight-hungry colleagues lace the beat with visions of glitz and glamour. NYC mainstay Mickey Factz heads off the pack, fantasizing about exotic vacations and “caviar on the tour bus” before handing the mic to Massachusetts’ own Dre Robinson for an entertainingly braggadocious middle 16. On the back, Al-J takes center stage to drop some of the craziest rhymes I’ve heard in a minute (“Dyed crimson, word to the third eye extended / to the sky you’re sending up for grabs, prize-winning…”) and Scott ties it all together with his distinctive hook and bridge vocals. Think these alt-hip-hop innovators are headed to the top? Those who answer to the affirmative can hear more on the crew’s Shoot the Moon LP, available now via their Bandcamp page.
Written by richard on 11/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Crave The Change" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.