First-time featuree BOOGNIGHTS may have hit the scene with his debut street album this past March, but he’s hardly new to rap – in fact, the Spring Valley, N.Y. native’s been honing his skills on the mic since age nine. It’s hard to catch developing talent that early but, in any case, we figured that now was The Time to jump on the buzzmaking emcee’s bandwagon. This newly-released promo single, a remixed version of a track originally featured on compilation mixtape Student of the Culture, is a head-nodding introduction to BOOGS’ retro-informed yet forward-looking style. Beatsmith J-Killah (a.k.a. GOLD) switches out his icy original boardwork for a bouncier but equally laid-back funk-soul instrumental as the artist showcases his confident mic presence, brushing off the gimmick rappers and advising listeners, “If you’re gonna believe in something, [you’d] best believe in me.” BOOGNIGHTS fresh style is sure to earn him points in the Booth, but will it catch the label execs’ ears? For now, we can only speculate…
Listen to More: BOOGNIGHTS
Written by richard on 10/5/09
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.