First-time featuree BOOGNIGHTS may have hit the scene with his debut street album this past March, but he’s hardly new to rap – in fact, the Spring Valley, N.Y. native’s been honing his skills on the mic since age nine. It’s hard to catch developing talent that early but, in any case, we figured that now was The Time to jump on the buzzmaking emcee’s bandwagon. This newly-released promo single, a remixed version of a track originally featured on compilation mixtape Student of the Culture, is a head-nodding introduction to BOOGS’ retro-informed yet forward-looking style. Beatsmith J-Killah (a.k.a. GOLD) switches out his icy original boardwork for a bouncier but equally laid-back funk-soul instrumental as the artist showcases his confident mic presence, brushing off the gimmick rappers and advising listeners, “If you’re gonna believe in something, [you’d] best believe in me.” BOOGNIGHTS fresh style is sure to earn him points in the Booth, but will it catch the label execs’ ears? For now, we can only speculate…
Listen to More: BOOGNIGHTS Written by richard
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.