Though a diploma from the School of Hard Knocks won’t get you a cushy office job, a few years in the dope game will teach you as much about entrepreneurship as an MBA from the most prestigious university. Don’t take it from me, though, take it from Boldy James, who offers a critical commentary upon one of Biggie Smalls’ Ten Crack Commandments (“Number 10: a strong word called ‘Consignment’... If you ain’t got the clientele, say ‘Hell no!’”) on the title track off his forthcoming street album. After lacing beatsmith Black Noise‘s string-laced sample work with an engagingly-flowed account of his cookup technique, the Motown representative gets down to brass tacks, asking listeners to “Do the math” along with him as he teaches his fellow “concreatures” how to maximize the profitability of their hustle. If that all sounds a little heavy, don’t worry - nothing cuts the tension of a gritty reality-rap record like a chorus borrowed from I’m a Little Teapot (as performed by a sadly uncredited female hook singer). Digging it? You’ll find more of what you’re fiending for on James’ Consignment: Favor for A Favor (Redi-Rock Mixtape) tape, set for release on February 27.
Written by richard on 02/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.