Though a diploma from the School of Hard Knocks won’t get you a cushy office job, a few years in the dope game will teach you as much about entrepreneurship as an MBA from the most prestigious university. Don’t take it from me, though, take it from Boldy James, who offers a critical commentary upon one of Biggie Smalls’ Ten Crack Commandments (“Number 10: a strong word called ‘Consignment’... If you ain’t got the clientele, say ‘Hell no!’”) on the title track off his forthcoming street album. After lacing beatsmith Black Noise‘s string-laced sample work with an engagingly-flowed account of his cookup technique, the Motown representative gets down to brass tacks, asking listeners to “Do the math” along with him as he teaches his fellow “concreatures” how to maximize the profitability of their hustle. If that all sounds a little heavy, don’t worry - nothing cuts the tension of a gritty reality-rap record like a chorus borrowed from I’m a Little Teapot (as performed by a sadly uncredited female hook singer). Digging it? You’ll find more of what you’re fiending for on James’ Consignment: Favor for A Favor (Redi-Rock Mixtape) tape, set for release on February 27.
Written by richard on 02/19/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.