Plenty of rappers are quick to declare their loyalty to the block, and some even have a certain love for the streets that made them who they are. To my knowledge, however, Booth newcomer Boldy James is the first to express his affection by giving the pavement a pet name. Previously glimpsed on The Cool Kids’ ‘09 single Tires, the Detroit native shares a tender moment with his “Concrete Connie” on a new single. Brains delivers a instrumental that (contrary to his name) comes straight for the heart, pairing mellow keyboards with fluttering string flourishes as the emcee addresses the girl he runs to whenever things get rough with his (human) old lady. While you’d think a romantic affair with a blend of cement, fly ash, aggregate, water and chemical admixtures would be unfulfilling, the feeling turns out to be mutual; stepping into the title role, femcee Tenille reciprocates James’ affection: “Baby I won’t leave you / my eyes light up every time I see you…” Has this unconventional love story made a Boldy James fan of you? More freshness awaits on the emcee’s Trappers Alley double-LP, composed of Pros (out now) and Cons (fall 2011).
Written by richard on 05/23/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)