Plenty of rappers are quick to declare their loyalty to the block, and some even have a certain love for the streets that made them who they are. To my knowledge, however, Booth newcomer Boldy James is the first to express his affection by giving the pavement a pet name. Previously glimpsed on The Cool Kids’ ‘09 single Tires, the Detroit native shares a tender moment with his “Concrete Connie” on a new single. Brains delivers a instrumental that (contrary to his name) comes straight for the heart, pairing mellow keyboards with fluttering string flourishes as the emcee addresses the girl he runs to whenever things get rough with his (human) old lady. While you’d think a romantic affair with a blend of cement, fly ash, aggregate, water and chemical admixtures would be unfulfilling, the feeling turns out to be mutual; stepping into the title role, femcee Tenille reciprocates James’ affection: “Baby I won’t leave you / my eyes light up every time I see you…” Has this unconventional love story made a Boldy James fan of you? More freshness awaits on the emcee’s Trappers Alley double-LP, composed of Pros (out now) and Cons (fall 2011).
Written by richard on 05/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.