Boldy James might just be the hungriest rapper in the game today. And I don’t just mean that in the sense that he’s determined to succeed—somebody needs to get the man a bag of Fritos, stat. On gritty new promo single Chirps, the Motown repper takes hip-hop’s illustrious tradition of food-related slang to its logical extreme, chronicling his day-too-day hustle in bars which the uninitiated might assume were inspired by the snack aisle at his local convenience store. His block talk comes backed by the synth-laced street boardwork of Big Duke, who incorporates samples from 2009 Ice Cube/Mike Epps comedy The Janky Promoters on the intro and hook. This joint isn’t attached to a larger project, but fans will want to keep it locked for the latest on James’ forthcoming debut album, M.1.C.S.. Produced in full by The Alchemist, the set is scheduled for release this coming fall.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.