Boldy James might just be the hungriest rapper in the game today. And I don’t just mean that in the sense that he’s determined to succeed—somebody needs to get the man a bag of Fritos, stat. On gritty new promo single Chirps, the Motown repper takes hip-hop’s illustrious tradition of food-related slang to its logical extreme, chronicling his day-too-day hustle in bars which the uninitiated might assume were inspired by the snack aisle at his local convenience store. His block talk comes backed by the synth-laced street boardwork of Big Duke, who incorporates samples from 2009 Ice Cube/Mike Epps comedy The Janky Promoters on the intro and hook. This joint isn’t attached to a larger project, but fans will want to keep it locked for the latest on James’ forthcoming debut album, M.1.C.S.. Produced in full by The Alchemist, the set is scheduled for release this coming fall.
Written by richard on 05/31/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.