Boldy James might just be the hungriest rapper in the game today. And I don’t just mean that in the sense that he’s determined to succeed—somebody needs to get the man a bag of Fritos, stat. On gritty new promo single Chirps, the Motown repper takes hip-hop’s illustrious tradition of food-related slang to its logical extreme, chronicling his day-too-day hustle in bars which the uninitiated might assume were inspired by the snack aisle at his local convenience store. His block talk comes backed by the synth-laced street boardwork of Big Duke, who incorporates samples from 2009 Ice Cube/Mike Epps comedy The Janky Promoters on the intro and hook. This joint isn’t attached to a larger project, but fans will want to keep it locked for the latest on James’ forthcoming debut album, M.1.C.S.. Produced in full by The Alchemist, the set is scheduled for release this coming fall.
Written by richard on 05/31/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.