Listeners will be happy to hear that rumors of B.o.B’s retirement from the music game were greatly exaggerated; in fact, the ATL up-and-comer has simply retired his stage name, and will heretofore be known as Bobby Ray. If you catch a ‘rock-n-roller’ vibe off the new moniker, that’s no accident—in a recent article on MTV.com, the emcee stated his intention to invest his sound with a genre-bending edge by way of live instrumentation. Unreleased cut Mr. Bobby demonstrates that B-Ray’s not blowing smoke when he says he’s, “not trying to live up to any particular genre.” Here, he grabs his axe to conjure up a vintage reggae vibe, and the result sounds truly organic (in this age of studio wizardry, that’s an adjective I don’t get to use too often). Sticking to his tried and true flow on the verses, Bobby touches on the ongoing economic recession, as well as clearing up the question of whether or not he’s a hipster (the answer is ‘no’). Those lucky enough to be in Austin for this year’s South by Southwest festival can catch Bobby Ray and his backing band, the Eastsiders, this Sunday.
Written by richard on 03/17/09
Submit your Rating
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.