Listeners will be happy to hear that rumors of B.o.B’s retirement from the music game were greatly exaggerated; in fact, the ATL up-and-comer has simply retired his stage name, and will heretofore be known as Bobby Ray. If you catch a ‘rock-n-roller’ vibe off the new moniker, that’s no accident—in a recent article on MTV.com, the emcee stated his intention to invest his sound with a genre-bending edge by way of live instrumentation. Unreleased cut Mr. Bobby demonstrates that B-Ray’s not blowing smoke when he says he’s, “not trying to live up to any particular genre.” Here, he grabs his axe to conjure up a vintage reggae vibe, and the result sounds truly organic (in this age of studio wizardry, that’s an adjective I don’t get to use too often). Sticking to his tried and true flow on the verses, Bobby touches on the ongoing economic recession, as well as clearing up the question of whether or not he’s a hipster (the answer is ‘no’). Those lucky enough to be in Austin for this year’s South by Southwest festival can catch Bobby Ray and his backing band, the Eastsiders, this Sunday.
Written by richard on 03/17/09
Submit your Rating
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.