Listeners will be happy to hear that rumors of B.o.B’s retirement from the music game were greatly exaggerated; in fact, the ATL up-and-comer has simply retired his stage name, and will heretofore be known as Bobby Ray. If you catch a ‘rock-n-roller’ vibe off the new moniker, that’s no accident—in a recent article on MTV.com, the emcee stated his intention to invest his sound with a genre-bending edge by way of live instrumentation. Unreleased cut Mr. Bobby demonstrates that B-Ray’s not blowing smoke when he says he’s, “not trying to live up to any particular genre.” Here, he grabs his axe to conjure up a vintage reggae vibe, and the result sounds truly organic (in this age of studio wizardry, that’s an adjective I don’t get to use too often). Sticking to his tried and true flow on the verses, Bobby touches on the ongoing economic recession, as well as clearing up the question of whether or not he’s a hipster (the answer is ‘no’). Those lucky enough to be in Austin for this year’s South by Southwest festival can catch Bobby Ray and his backing band, the Eastsiders, this Sunday.
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.