Multiple personalities are a great way for an artist to stand out from the pack (or they were, until everyone started having them) but, as Fight Club has taught us, things can get ugly fast when your alter egoes turn against one another. On newly-released single/video Where Are You, B.o.B and Bobby Ray find themselves at cross purposes—and, while their conflict seems unlikely to result in a skyscraper exploding, it does threaten to alter the course of his/their musical career(s). First to flow over his (their?) own piano-led production, B.o.B (the big-name rapper) indicts Bobby Ray (the regular guy) for choosing work over his family, isolating himself from his fans and selling out on his principles as a result of his success. Bobby Ray fires back at B.o.B. on verse two, accusing him of abandoning everything that made his style and sound unique in favor of radio-ready pablum. Finally, B.o.B. makes peace with his counterpart on the back, admitting that his sudden celebrity caught him by surprise and he’s still trying to figure it all out. Feeling this introspective (and ever-so-slightly schizophrenic) jam? Then you can look forward to hearing more from both B.o.B. and Bobby Ray on Strange Clouds, due out May 1, via Atlantic Records.
Written by richard on 03/20/12
Submit your Rating
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.