Big-money dreams come in many shapes and sizes, but if there’s one item that ranks high on most every rapper’s post-windfall agenda, it’s undoubtedly: “Get Mama a House.” (And if she’s already got a house, of course, you get her a bigger one.) Not that this ambition is confined to the urban-music world—quite the contrary. For proof, we turn to Swedish indie-rockers The Teddybears, whose 2010 single on the subject has just received the unofficial remix treatment courtesy of ATL genre-bender B.o.B. More of a cover than a typical hip-hop remix, this rendition of the record retains the Swedish group’s driving New Wave/power-pop backdrop along with the original lyrics; Bobby Ray simply lays his vocals over the top, echoing the Bears’ determination to set Mom up in some nicer digs (no matter if it takes “yen… from the Yakuza,” “ruples from the Russian mob” or “pesos from the junta.”) in characteristically infectious style. This joint isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project by B.o.B, but those inspired to dig into the Teddybears’ discography can start with 2010’s Devil Music, featuring the original version of Mama and much more.
Written by richard on 07/5/11
Submit your Rating
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)