Big-money dreams come in many shapes and sizes, but if there’s one item that ranks high on most every rapper’s post-windfall agenda, it’s undoubtedly: “Get Mama a House.” (And if she’s already got a house, of course, you get her a bigger one.) Not that this ambition is confined to the urban-music world—quite the contrary. For proof, we turn to Swedish indie-rockers The Teddybears, whose 2010 single on the subject has just received the unofficial remix treatment courtesy of ATL genre-bender B.o.B. More of a cover than a typical hip-hop remix, this rendition of the record retains the Swedish group’s driving New Wave/power-pop backdrop along with the original lyrics; Bobby Ray simply lays his vocals over the top, echoing the Bears’ determination to set Mom up in some nicer digs (no matter if it takes “yen… from the Yakuza,” “ruples from the Russian mob” or “pesos from the junta.”) in characteristically infectious style. This joint isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project by B.o.B, but those inspired to dig into the Teddybears’ discography can start with 2010’s Devil Music, featuring the original version of Mama and much more.
Written by richard on 07/5/11
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.