Fame is complicated—so complicated that, as we saw on B.o.B‘s last feature, it has the power to split you into multiple, warring personalities. Coming on the heels of schizoid hit Where Are You, new video single So Hard to Breathe finds the ATL hitmaker once again confronting the psychologically draining realities of success in the rap game. Over beatsmith Alex Da Kid‘s eclectic yet radio-ready blend of pop, light rock and hip-hop sounds, the artist offers a metaphorical take on the familiar theme, comparing himself to a giant, sea-dwelling mammal struggling to stay afloat as he weathers the stings of bloodsucking haters: “[T]he wealth attracts you haters like mosquitoes to a whale / And the water’s getting deeper so I must set out to sail.” Ultimately, though, he admits that it’s the inexorable march of time that has him buggin’; as he wistfully remarks on the back, “It’s a long way from beating pots and pans.” Nothing about B.o.B’s journey thus far has been easy but, on the bright side, the man does appear to have another hit on his hands—or have I got it twisted? Those who agree with my assessment will be able to find this Bei Maejor-penned banger and much more on Strange Clouds, set to hit record stores and online retailers May 1.
Written by richard on 04/17/12
Submit your Rating
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)