Several days ago, I Tweeted about my shock/disappointment in A-List artists, who in large part have avoided using their platform to speak to “the people” about what is taking place in Ferguson, Missouri. Since Sunday evening, a handful of artists have brought event-inspiring works to the forefront, including J.Cole, G-Unit and Eligh. The latest artist to step up to the plate is Atlantic Records hitmaker B.o.B, who is arguably the most successful, high profile major label artist yet to deliver a record about Michael Brown’s death and what is means to be a New Black man in America. Over his own tense boardwork, Bobby Ray spits, “So who draws the first straw? Everybody hurt, who caused the first scar? Cause as soon as you see ni**gas get in a fight, you be the first mothaf**ker to yell out Worldstar!” Will this solo offering inspire radical change? Of course not. But what it will do is force music fans of all races, backgrounds and ethnic groups to tune into a real world view of America in 2014.
Written by DJ Z on 08/19/14
Submit your Rating
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.