If there were an award given to the most popular word in the English language in any given year, “change” would have the ‘08 trophy locked up. In hopes of picking up votes in today’s U.S. presidential election, both Barack Obama and his opponent John McCain have used that powerful six-letter word as their campaign theme. Likewise, the 10 Freshmen artists chosen by XXL Magazine are expected to bring change to today’s all-too stale hip-hop industry. Three of these rookies have decided to come together to ensure listeners that Change Gonna Come. Harlem’s Charles Hamilton encourages listeners to keep their minds wide open so that music has room to evolve, Philly’s Asher Roth documents how stubborn humans have always been (while deflecting potential comparisons to Slim Shady, ‘Ye, and 3 Stacks), and Atlanta’s B.o.B. wraps things up by encouraging listeners to halt any debate over who had the better verse and realize that this is bigger than rap.
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.