If there were an award given to the most popular word in the English language in any given year, “change” would have the ‘08 trophy locked up. In hopes of picking up votes in today’s U.S. presidential election, both Barack Obama and his opponent John McCain have used that powerful six-letter word as their campaign theme. Likewise, the 10 Freshmen artists chosen by XXL Magazine are expected to bring change to today’s all-too stale hip-hop industry. Three of these rookies have decided to come together to ensure listeners that Change Gonna Come. Harlem’s Charles Hamilton encourages listeners to keep their minds wide open so that music has room to evolve, Philly’s Asher Roth documents how stubborn humans have always been (while deflecting potential comparisons to Slim Shady, ‘Ye, and 3 Stacks), and Atlanta’s B.o.B. wraps things up by encouraging listeners to halt any debate over who had the better verse and realize that this is bigger than rap.
Written by Burmy on 11/3/08
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.