With genre promiscuity becoming more and more the norm, I’m having trouble even thinking of an over-the-top example of an unlikely collaboration to say wouldn’t shock me. How about… a hologram of 2Pac rapping over a beat by Skrillex and avant-garde jazz composer John Zorn, with a bunch of Gregorian monks chanting on the hook? Nope, I can imagine that… and it sounds f**king dope. The point is, while I can’t say that hearing B.o.B come together with Taylor Swift on new single Both of Us surprises me, it is the kind of match-up that makes me marvel at the brave new musical world in which we’re living. Released along with visuals by Jake Neva the third official single off Bobby Ray’s sophomore set finds Dr. Luke and Cirkut crafting a radio-ready blend of hip-hop/pop-rock elements as Bobby Ray checks his priorities, resolving to dedicate his jams to the underdogs of the world rather than surrendering to the superficial allure of fame and fortune. The pop-country icon (and Kanye party-crashee) echoes the headliner’s noble sentiments in her poignant guest chorus. For the two or three of y’all who still haven’t picked up a copy, B.o.B.‘s Strange Clouds LP, dropped in May, and is available now via Grand Hustle/Rebel Rock/Atlantic.
Written by richard on 06/28/12
Submit your Rating
Rebel Rock/Grand Hustle/Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Haterz Everywhere We Go (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.