Last we featured Boaz, way back in early 2009, the Pittsburgh representative was on the verge of releasing his debut set, The Audiobiography. Though two years away from our frontpage is a damn long time, the artist is back like he never left on this fresh mixtape leak – if the emcee did it for you then, rest assured he’s gonna Do It For You today. Live From the Tape Deck beatsmith !llmind works his magic behind the boards, flipping a snippet from Rufus Thompson’s oft-sampled Do the Funky Penguin into a gritty, street-ready backdrop for rhymes dedicated to the Steel City. Though this joint falls under the “hometown anthem” umbrella, Boaz doesn’t feel obligated to paint an overly rosy picture. Instead, he uses gritty detail to emphasize the distance he’s come from the block, arguing that “Getting money is a reason to change,” but making clear that he’s the same where it counts – he’s still rolling through the same streets, puffing the same weed and vibing out to “Curt Mayfield and Frank Beverley.” Fans should keep it locked; Boaz’ latest mixtape, The Transition, currently lacks a drop date, but you’ll be the first to know when that changes!
Written by richard on 04/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gettin Mine" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.