Though it would be naïve to assume that the Aloha State’s all about poi, ukuleles, and getting lei-ed by grass-skirted hula girls, the fact of the matter is that most mainlanders—myself included—have only the vaguest notions of what goes on in the “real Hawaii.” Straight outta Honolulu, emcee/producer duo Blue Scholars are here to deliver the inside scoop in a fresh, head-bobbing hip-hop package. On HI-808, the Scholars’ Booth debut and the lead single off their forthcoming EP, rapper Geologic takes listeners on a tour of his home streets, touching on such topics as the state’s ice (that is, methamphetamine) epidemic and sizable military population, as well as paying tribute to the tropical climate and the local party scene. Complete with a street-certified, organ-driven instrumental by DJ/producer Sabzi, this track is both ear-catching and lyrically real—if your interest is piqued, say “Aloha” (in the “Hello” sense) to the duo’s OOF! EP when it drops August 25th.
Written by richard on 08/17/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.