If you, like me, flipped on the news this morning, odds are you were assaulted by a barrage of footage detailing global-scale tumult. For those overwhelmed by the chaos in Japan, Libya and elsewhere, here’s my prescription: turn off the TV, donate a few bucks to a worthy charity and then flip on Everything’sOK, the reassuringly-titled new single off Blu‘s long-delayed LP. Though this upbeat banger finds the artist venturing into “superficial” lyrical territory, the record’s vibe is innovative enough to engross even the most discerning heads in the Cali stalwart’s escapist fantasies. Flying Lotus mans the boards, unleashing a torrent of layered synths and furious breakbeats as Blu paints a vivid portrait of the fast life – from fancy whips and boat parties to top-shelf liquors and beautiful women. Topped off with the deadpan yet sultry vocals of Miss Jack Davey, this joint’s catchiness is undeniable, but is it appealing enough to earn Blu’s endlessly-delayed album, NoYork! a solid drop date? Only time will tell – in the meantime, however, readers are welcome to speculate!
Written by richard on 03/20/11
Nature Sounds/New World Color
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hostile Gospel (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz & Blu" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)