If you, like me, flipped on the news this morning, odds are you were assaulted by a barrage of footage detailing global-scale tumult. For those overwhelmed by the chaos in Japan, Libya and elsewhere, here’s my prescription: turn off the TV, donate a few bucks to a worthy charity and then flip on Everything’sOK, the reassuringly-titled new single off Blu‘s long-delayed LP. Though this upbeat banger finds the artist venturing into “superficial” lyrical territory, the record’s vibe is innovative enough to engross even the most discerning heads in the Cali stalwart’s escapist fantasies. Flying Lotus mans the boards, unleashing a torrent of layered synths and furious breakbeats as Blu paints a vivid portrait of the fast life – from fancy whips and boat parties to top-shelf liquors and beautiful women. Topped off with the deadpan yet sultry vocals of Miss Jack Davey, this joint’s catchiness is undeniable, but is it appealing enough to earn Blu’s endlessly-delayed album, NoYork! a solid drop date? Only time will tell – in the meantime, however, readers are welcome to speculate!
Written by richard on 03/20/11
Submit your Rating
Nature Sounds/New World Color
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hostile Gospel (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz & Blu" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.