If you, like me, flipped on the news this morning, odds are you were assaulted by a barrage of footage detailing global-scale tumult. For those overwhelmed by the chaos in Japan, Libya and elsewhere, here’s my prescription: turn off the TV, donate a few bucks to a worthy charity and then flip on Everything’sOK, the reassuringly-titled new single off Blu‘s long-delayed LP. Though this upbeat banger finds the artist venturing into “superficial” lyrical territory, the record’s vibe is innovative enough to engross even the most discerning heads in the Cali stalwart’s escapist fantasies. Flying Lotus mans the boards, unleashing a torrent of layered synths and furious breakbeats as Blu paints a vivid portrait of the fast life – from fancy whips and boat parties to top-shelf liquors and beautiful women. Topped off with the deadpan yet sultry vocals of Miss Jack Davey, this joint’s catchiness is undeniable, but is it appealing enough to earn Blu’s endlessly-delayed album, NoYork! a solid drop date? Only time will tell – in the meantime, however, readers are welcome to speculate!
Written by richard on 03/20/11
Submit your Rating
Nature Sounds/New World Color
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hostile Gospel (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz & Blu" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.