On his latest leak Doin’ Something, L.A. native Blu keeps with his gritty underground edge, calling on the help of a few friends: Pac Div, U-N-I, J*Davey, TiRon and Ayomari. Producer Flying Lotus provides a scratchy beat powered by a purring bass line as the emcees spit in a cipher-type fashion. Pac Div member Like starts the track off with an intricate verse, biting at record labels and all-things-commercial: ”The labels are in the business to get bucks / moral of the story is don’t get f**ked.” Refreshingly, the lyrical jabs in Something aren’t weighted in rosé or diamonds; instead, it’s that raw charisma that each rapper brings to the mic. For my money, TiRon contributed the dopest verse, dropping jewels like this: “Peace to Weezy out of Rikers but I’m writing for them lifers that unlike me had a writer’s block or lack of an Iverson cross.” All artists brought it on this one. No word on the release date of Blu’s forthcoming album NoYork!, but be sure to keep it locked for more heat from L.A.’s rising talent.
Written by CourtlandHH on 05/16/11
Submit your Rating
Nature Sounds/New World Color
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hostile Gospel (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz & Blu" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.