Contrary to Forrest Gump’s assertion that “life is like a box of chocolates” (…because you never know what you’re gonna get.), surprises and shakeups are more often than not separated by long stretches of the same-old, same-old. On the latest leak off his forthcoming street release (a vocal version of an instrumental album which dropped way back in 2009), Blu offers an alternate simile: “Life is like a cheap-ass merry-go-round.” One of two tracks featuring rhymes by the Cali rapper-producer himself, Avenge of the Cheap finds the headliner blending hazy doo-wop samples and leisurely percussion to back his slice-of-life rhymes. In engagingly down-to-earth, eminently blunted bars, Blu describes how his modest ambitions for a day off (“By the way, I was supposed to call my mama today”) fell by the wayside in favor of weed and porn viewing. B.K. phenom Sene gets philosophical on the back: “No matter whether ballin’ or rap, sellin’ Jordans or crack, what’s more important is you’re stayin’ on track.” For more hot beats and deep thoughts, check out Blu’s Open LP when it hits online retailers tomorrow, September 27.
Written by richard on 09/26/11
Submit your Rating
Nature Sounds/New World Color
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hostile Gospel (Remix) ft. Joell Ortiz & Blu" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.