When artists refuse to address the big social, political, economic, spiritual, and philosophical questions, does hip-hop lose its power? That is itself a very big question, and a tricky one to answer, but in a day and age when many rappers will boast, in their records, that they’re doing it purely for the currency, it’s one that needs asking. In any case, there still exist emcees that both care deeply about music and have something to say, and Blitz the Ambassador is most definitely one of them. On newly-released single Something to Believe In, the Ghana-born rapper dives headfirst into issues of social justice, religion, and musical authenticity, lacing the track with impassioned rhymes as propulsive as they are thought-provoking. Blitz and co-producer Optiks amplify that energy on the instrumental, which features a muscular, horn-fueled funk groove by the Embassy Ensemble and soulful hook and backing vocals by Tarrey Torae and a ten-piece choir. The combination of on-point lyricism and and bombastic energy Blitz brings to to the table here is nigh impossible to resist, and those who like what they hear are sure to find more high-impact, politically conscious hip-hop on his Stereotypes LP when it hits stores August 4th.
Written by richard on 06/28/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hands of Time" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.