When Blaqstarr (not to be confused with Black Star, aka Talib Kweli and Mos Def) made his Booth debut with the Rye Rye-assisted In the Mood way back in December of ‘08, some weren’t entirely sold on his dance-infused style. Two years and change later, with electro-funk infused hip-hop grooves back in style, it’s starting to seem like the man was simply ahead of his time. Tonight, the Baltimore DJ/producer is back for another round with new mixtape single Handstand. Considerably less chill than the aforementioned cut, this dancefloor scorcher finds Blaq blending bruising percussion and overdriven bass to pulse-pounding effect. Keeping the focus squarely on the bone-crushing instrumental backdrop, the artist pushing the vocals into the background using droning (and only semi-comprehensible) verses and a chopped hook (ditto) to heighten the hypnotic vibe. Digging this unique club banger? Then you won’t want to miss the rest of the hard-hitting production (not to mention hot guest features) in store on his self-titled street album, scheduled to hit the ‘net April 12.
Written by richard on 03/20/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In The Mood ft. Rye Rye" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.