When Blaqstarr (not to be confused with Black Star, aka Talib Kweli and Mos Def) made his Booth debut with the Rye Rye-assisted In the Mood way back in December of ‘08, some weren’t entirely sold on his dance-infused style. Two years and change later, with electro-funk infused hip-hop grooves back in style, it’s starting to seem like the man was simply ahead of his time. Tonight, the Baltimore DJ/producer is back for another round with new mixtape single Handstand. Considerably less chill than the aforementioned cut, this dancefloor scorcher finds Blaq blending bruising percussion and overdriven bass to pulse-pounding effect. Keeping the focus squarely on the bone-crushing instrumental backdrop, the artist pushing the vocals into the background using droning (and only semi-comprehensible) verses and a chopped hook (ditto) to heighten the hypnotic vibe. Digging this unique club banger? Then you won’t want to miss the rest of the hard-hitting production (not to mention hot guest features) in store on his self-titled street album, scheduled to hit the ‘net April 12.
Written by richard on 03/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In The Mood ft. Rye Rye" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)