Typically, when a rapper takes it to church, you can expect a dope, gospel-informed beat and a lot of pious platitudes that, as often as not, bear no relation to what said emcee spits about the other 99% of the time. As much as I do love pipe organ, it’s refreshing to hear Blame One flip the script on They Don’t Know, the lead single off his forthcoming street album with Brown Bag AllStars beatsmith J57. Over his partner’s mellow boom-bap boardwork, the San Diego emcee shares the informal spiritual beliefs that work for him, while admitting that the diversity of dogmas preached throughout the world make it impossible to know God with certainty. Brown Bag affiliate Akie Bermiss does his best impression of a Grizzly Bear sample during Blame’s verses, before taking center stage on the record’s chorus. Feeling it? More fresh cuts await on Walk in the Sun slated to drop August 27, via SoulSpazm Records.
Written by richard on 06/5/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dropping Bombs" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.