Typically, when a rapper takes it to church, you can expect a dope, gospel-informed beat and a lot of pious platitudes that, as often as not, bear no relation to what said emcee spits about the other 99% of the time. As much as I do love pipe organ, it’s refreshing to hear Blame One flip the script on They Don’t Know, the lead single off his forthcoming street album with Brown Bag AllStars beatsmith J57. Over his partner’s mellow boom-bap boardwork, the San Diego emcee shares the informal spiritual beliefs that work for him, while admitting that the diversity of dogmas preached throughout the world make it impossible to know God with certainty. Brown Bag affiliate Akie Bermiss does his best impression of a Grizzly Bear sample during Blame’s verses, before taking center stage on the record’s chorus. Feeling it? More fresh cuts await on Walk in the Sun slated to drop August 27, via SoulSpazm Records.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dropping Bombs" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.