Typically, when a rapper takes it to church, you can expect a dope, gospel-informed beat and a lot of pious platitudes that, as often as not, bear no relation to what said emcee spits about the other 99% of the time. As much as I do love pipe organ, it’s refreshing to hear Blame One flip the script on They Don’t Know, the lead single off his forthcoming street album with Brown Bag AllStars beatsmith J57. Over his partner’s mellow boom-bap boardwork, the San Diego emcee shares the informal spiritual beliefs that work for him, while admitting that the diversity of dogmas preached throughout the world make it impossible to know God with certainty. Brown Bag affiliate Akie Bermiss does his best impression of a Grizzly Bear sample during Blame’s verses, before taking center stage on the record’s chorus. Feeling it? More fresh cuts await on Walk in the Sun slated to drop August 27, via SoulSpazm Records.
Written by richard on 06/5/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dropping Bombs" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.