Update: Click “Listen Now” above to view Blacwater’s “The Truth” video.
You want The Truth, Booth readers? You can’t handle The Truth!! OK, OK, that was just me getting my Jack Nicholson on. In actuality, I can’t see why this cut, the first feature from emcee-producer duo BLACWATER, should be particularly hard to bear—unless you have a life-threatening allergy to quality beats and rhymes, in which case you’re hanging out at the wrong place altogether. For the rest, the new single should be a downright dope experience. The production half of the twosome, Johannesburg, South Africa’s Draztik Beats, takes a hard-hitting tack behind the boards, serving up a chopped soul-sample groove (complete with a hook sampling cinema classic A Few Good Men) as Swapmeet Ensemble emcee Silence DemALL bombards the beat with witty braggadocio. Bay Area mainstays Shark Sinatra and Balance take over on the back two-thirds, the former earning a blue ribbon for Best Simile with the hilarious, “Lames will never see me, I’m really like Freeway’s chin.” So, has The Truth set you free from the chains of, um, wack music? Then keep it locked for more enlightening tunes leading up to the release of BLACWATER’s yet untitled/unscheduled collaborative LP.
Written by richard on 03/21/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"GOOD MAN" (2014)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.