Particularly in today’s less-than-ideal job market, it’s not unusual to see urban areas fall into disrepair as employers bail and those who can afford it move away. Just ask Baltimore natives The Black Sunn & 810, whose latest collaborative single finds them shaking their heads at the Ghost Town their once-vital neighborhoods have begun. Renaissance of Don’t Look Down crew Green Street produces, pairing a a subdued percussion rhythm with wistful jazz-piano chords as the freestyle series alumni spit vivid depictions of inner-city decay: “Boarded-up homes replace neighborhoods where they once loved you / Now cops roam them same blocks to profile and cuff you / or gangbangers, so never roll less than two.” Despite the downbeat subject matter, the tone is more wistful than bleak, and the message is one well worth repeating: “We can’t get nowhere unless we work together.” For more fresh, thoughtful new material, check out Black Sunn and 810’s Booth-sponsored United Division LP, set to hit our front page for free download in late summer.
Written by richard on 05/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"DMV (Everyone Knows)" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.