Particularly in today’s less-than-ideal job market, it’s not unusual to see urban areas fall into disrepair as employers bail and those who can afford it move away. Just ask Baltimore natives The Black Sunn & 810, whose latest collaborative single finds them shaking their heads at the Ghost Town their once-vital neighborhoods have begun. Renaissance of Don’t Look Down crew Green Street produces, pairing a a subdued percussion rhythm with wistful jazz-piano chords as the freestyle series alumni spit vivid depictions of inner-city decay: “Boarded-up homes replace neighborhoods where they once loved you / Now cops roam them same blocks to profile and cuff you / or gangbangers, so never roll less than two.” Despite the downbeat subject matter, the tone is more wistful than bleak, and the message is one well worth repeating: “We can’t get nowhere unless we work together.” For more fresh, thoughtful new material, check out Black Sunn and 810’s Booth-sponsored United Division LP, set to hit our front page for free download in late summer.
Written by richard on 05/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"DMV (Everyone Knows)" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.