His dope DJBooth freestyle aside, it’s been a minute since we’ve heard new music from Baltimore fast riser Black Sunn, but that doesn’t mean the man’s been sleeping. In fact he’s been hard at work on several new projects, and as a means of re-introduction he’s now released Leave Luck to Heaven, a soulfully-oriented cut making its premiere right here on DJBooth.net. While some aptly angelic production by Remot floats across the track, anchored by some sharp percussion, Black Sunn lays down a warning to rappers being asked to leave their creativity and integrity behind in search of a major label deal: “From a seed I have grown, but now I’m beanstalk, they try jack my identity, but I let the beats talk.” I’ll give you a minute to think that line over. If Leave Luck’s got you wanting to hear from Sunn (and it should) you’re in luck: his Sol Parables mixtape is set to drop February 25, followed closely by United Division, a collabo album with fellow B-More native 810.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/2/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who I Am" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.